[TowerTalk] PL259 Insertion Loss?

Bill Aycock baycock2 at centurytel.net
Sun Jan 15 13:45:22 PST 2012

Jim--
The accuracy numbers always quoted for Birds has always bothered me. The
accuracy numbers are a combination of "Cover your A**" and laziness. The
real problem usually is repeatability, not accuracy.  Most comparisons
are just that, comparisons with one set of instruments. The use of a
single instrument for multiple measurements with careful constancy of
non-critical items can give far more realistic answers.
I, personally, did a multi-connecter comparison using UHF parts. I
hooked up a long string of UHF jumpers and barrel connecters with
"Push-on" fittings at each end. My "Instruments were only the Watt
meters most hams have. I don't remember how many joints were involved,
but was every spare jumper I had and all the Barrels in the junk box.
There was no attempt to get great accuracy, but I did try for
repeatability and replication.
With this setup, I could measure no significant losses. I am convinced
(I convinced myself) that the "UHF connector loss" is a myth, right up
there with that myth about the superiority of N-type at HF.

Bill--W4BSG