[TowerTalk] suspending a OCF Windom from a tower

K5MLC (Mike) k5mlc at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 17 14:01:08 PST 2012

Good Afternoon,

I recently erected an 134' OCF 7 band Windom @ 40' on my 50' tower with each end ending about 10' off the ground. The Windom is being fed with LMR 400 through a 4:1 balun. I am experiencing higher than expected SWR reading on all bands. The Windom is attached directly to a leg of the the tower. I am wondering if I need to mount the windom on a horizontal extension 3-4' out to move it away from the tower.  ie: Is the close proximity to the tower causing the higher than expected SWR?  The LMR 400 was feeding a beam with satisfactory SWR so it should not be the culprit.

Thanks for your "input."

73

Mike
K5MLC