[TowerTalk] Safety of unguyed tower

Don Moman VE6JY ve6jy.1 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 19:52:33 PST 2012

I am familiar with the original HyGain version of that antenna, the 3-30
mhz version and the double tower and large rotating mast.

First point - you DON'T need a 70 ton crane for this.  A smaller crane will
easily handle the tower(s).  Because the towers have to be joined together
to allow the mast to tilt, it would be simpler to join both towers
completely together on the ground, lift and guy.   They are plenty rigid
enough to be picked up in one piece.  And again, you don't need a 70 ton
crane for this.  Forget about gin poles and the huge effort required - it's
a one day job for a crane.

And there are many styles of crane - look into all terrain and rough
terrain types.  My 40 ton rough terrain with 4 wheel steering can turn in a
tighter circle than most pickup trucks.  And it's still way more crane than
you need for this.

73 Don
VE6JY