[TowerTalk] C4XL 40 Meter tuning procedures

Mac English km9zkb9mdl at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 6 17:17:16 PDT 2012

To all:

I am resurrecting my force 12 C4XL with 2 elements for 40. I have the tuning network for 40 meters. I know there has been a lot of problems over the years with getting this antenna tuned properly for 40 meters using this network box. I am looking for information in regards to correct placement in length of the tuning jumpers on the reflector and driven element from the center spreader. There are a lot of conflicting stories on where to place these jumpers. The manual says one thing and hams say another.

Also I am looking for the tuning procedures with using the tuning network I have. I will be using an MFJ-259B analyzer to tune this antenna. I want to primarily use the 40 meter portion in the SSB DX window. I am not overly concerned with CW although I would like to be able to use that as well.

I am hearing conflicting stories as well about the length and turns of the inductors inside the tuning network box. I have 10 turns in the tuning network box AWG 12 with two coils that are about 1 1/2 inches in diameter.

I want to get this thing right before it goes in the air. I purchased this antenna originally in 2001 and never ever got this antenna working on 40 meters. One of the linear load wires broke after I put it up. I was never able to get the antenna back down to repair it. This time I want to make it right and do things properly for years of trouble free operation hopefully.

I appreciate your time and help with my problem. I am looking to get this antenna in the air by August sometime.

Please respond directly to me at km9zkb9mdl at yahoo.com

Thank you,

Mac English
KM9Z