[TowerTalk] WA7PRC Tower Erection

Bryan Swadener bswadener at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 7 13:36:35 PDT 2012

Hi Folks,

Over the past several months, I've been working on getting my first tower + BIG yagi up and today was "payday". K7LXC's TT reflector was very helpful. Thanks Steve!

The tower is a US Tower TX-472 (72' tilt-up, crank-up, free-standing) that sits on top of 7.5 cu yd of concrete. I use a Milwaukee "Super Hawg" drill motor (450 RPM, 13A) that effortlessly drives the winches.

The yagi is a Force 12 C-4XL, turned by a Hy-Gain HDR300. On top of the mast is my 10m half wavelength vertical (Cushcraft AR10) at 83' AGL. That puts the tip of the vertical at 99' AGL.  Suspended from a sidearm at 70' is my 80m cage inverted vee. My 40m sloping dipole is currently supported where it was previously, at 65' in my Cedar tree and at 35' by a homebrew tilt-up mast. The sidearm needs to be moved to the other side of the tower and I'll then hang the 40m wire from it as well. Right now, I'm pooped.

I have a few other details to take care of before calling for a final inspection.  For your enjoyment, I have lotsa photos + text on my Flickr page: http://www.tinyurl.com/wa7prc-tower

vy 73,
Bryan WA7PRC