[TowerTalk] Ameriton RCS4 and N Connectors

K8RI K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Sat Jul 7 20:41:49 PDT 2012

On 7/7/2012 10:26 PM, Charlie Gallo wrote:
> Hi Gang,
> NOT critical, but has anyone changed a RCS-4 over to N connectors?  I've read all the pros/cons of N connectors here, but I've pretty much have decided that where I can/as I can, I'm replacing al my PL/SO-259s with N connectors, and was wondering is anyone converted this unit

Yes,although I did the RCS-8) but I will eventually convert it back.
The conversion is very simple All you do is physically replace the one
type with the other using the chassis connector that uses one screw (or
rivet) in each corner. I used solder wick to remove the connecto joint
at the PC board. I suppose you could also use the chassis connector that
is threaded, but I'd still prefer the one using 4 small screws.

As I said, after doing the conversion (the original connectors needed
replacing anyway), I will eventually be going back to UHF connectors.
I've blown out too many N connectors due to high voltage caused by SWR
and nearby lightning strikes.

> BTW - the Reason?  Last year, I had "issues" with my 80m antenna on Field Day (I run from home - class 1E), and

I THOUGHT I had it fixed.  I don't run a lot of 80m (It is a short
antenna, low, but it is the best I can do on my city lot).

Anyway, This year, it failed again, but the GOOD news was it didn't go
intermittent, it failed hard.

  The failure was at the junction from the Buryflex to the lighter coax
going up in the air to my 80m dipole

(600w max on the traps, so...).  The AMP brand UHF barrel connector had
failed -

the spring fingers that grip the center conductor had become extremely
loose on one side - non conducting!

I decided that at least in that connector, I wanted to put in a female
and male pair, and get rid of the barrel,

and the best way to do that was with N connectors (I did think about
7-16 din, but)

They make UHF connectors like that. You put a male on one and female on
the other.  Gets rid on one connector.

BTW, please set you posting line length. Each paragraph comes through as
a single line.

73

Roger (K8RI)