[TowerTalk] 2 questions

K8RI K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Sat Jul 7 21:50:30 PDT 2012

>   > First question. I have an Ameritron RCS-10 that doesn't seem to work
>   > on all positions. Mine only works on 1-4 with no connection on the
>   > other positions. What would cause that? It almost seems like 2 and 6
>   > are hooked together and 1 and 5 too!
>
> RCS-10 uses a "binary tree" arrangement of relays.  You will probably
> find the input relay has been arced so that both the normally open and
> the normally closed contacts are connected at the same time (all the
> time).

Using double pole relays in binary trees is normally considered a very
unreliable way to go in industry.  Solid state logic is much more
reliable and only takes 4 lines to count to 10 (BCD) and is simple to
decode with one chip.  I can't imagine why anyone would use relays in a
binary tree.  I've never seen an RS10 so I can't verify the
construction, but I have used the more conventional RCS4 and 8 that use
the second set of contacts on each relay to prevent any other relays
being active other than the one selected.

73

Roger (K8RI)