[TowerTalk] Sources of Coax Relays

K8RI K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Thu Jul 12 22:45:11 PDT 2012

On 7/12/2012 11:43 PM, Jim Lux wrote:
> On 7/12/12 10:54 AM, Larry Loen wrote:
>> It appears this work has been done and maybe done to death.
>>
>> But for those of us who (like me) are new, can you expand a little,
>> and, particularly,  give a couple of links?  What I see below is
>> someone who knows the answer, but is speaking to others that know the
>> answer, not to someone just getting started in this.
>>
>> I'm eventually going to want to make my station work remotely, so I'll
>> be interested in high quality, high power coax switches that work well
>> through at least HF and sometimes 6 meters.  I had a handful of really
>> good switches on a 1K amp I ran a while back, but those came from a
>> trusted friend and I don't live in that state now anyway; sold the amp
>> long ago.
>>

> The challenge is that relays that worked 15 years ago may not be
> available today, or even if available, work today.

These relays have to tolerate RF at the power and frequency run through
them.  They also have to provide isolation at that power and frequency
when used in remote antenna switches.  Even more so when they are used
in set-ups where two or more stations may have access to the antennas.
IOW with my Single Operator, 2 stations setup (SO2R), I may have the
legal limit from two stations running through a switching set up that
has power running through adjacent relays and wiring, yet the isolation
between the two stations has to remain high enough so they do not
interfere with each other, let alone cause damage.

A small change inside a relay (that used to work) may drop the isolation
to unacceptable levels and actually cause damage to one or more rigs.

73

Roger (K8RI)