[TowerTalk] Thrust bearing problem

w6rgs at cox.net w6rgs at cox.net
Mon Jul 16 12:07:03 PDT 2012

Hello group,
I purchased a used Tri-Ex W-51 tower.  The 4-bolt thrust bearing was
very rusty and had the 2"-diameter steel mast rusted to the
bearing.  The upper part of the mast had been cut from the bearing,
so removing the bearing and the 2' lower part of the mast as a unit was easy.
I've tried lots of penetrating oil over a 3-month period, big pipe
wrenches and a vise, but I'm still unable to free the mast stub from
the bearing.  I was hoping to refurbish the thrust bearing for
re-use, but no luck.
Also, no luck searching around for a replacement bearing unit that
meets the same bolt-hole dimensions.   Found a place called Hub City,
but the measurements are off.  Anyone know of another source for a
4-bolt thrust bearing?  Already tried Tashjian Towers.
Thanks in advance.

73  Bill W6RGS