[TowerTalk] Rohn 45: self-supporting to 45' (without a house

Edward Sawyer SawyerEd at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 17 03:37:56 PDT 2012

If the Rohn 45 base is done right, it is no easier than the base of Towers
designed to be Self supporting - the HBX and HDBX series (or other
competitors).  Why not buy the right tower and not worry about it.  Years
ago I built an HDBX48 and had a 204BA and a 10/15 DuoBander on it with no
issues in a windy part of New England.

By the way, I would not climb a Rohn 45 with over 30 feet of unguyed,
attached section.  No matter what the catalog says (and I've installed
hundreds of feet of tower over the years and routinely scamper up towers up
to 120 feet all the time).  Just doesn't look right.

Ed  N1UR