[TowerTalk] Mast slipping

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Mon Jul 23 10:05:55 PDT 2012

Common Loctite cures in the presence of iron (Fe) and the lack of Oxygen
(O2).  Interestingly, those plastic Loctite containers are oxygen
permeable so it doesn't cure in the tube.  So a tightly enclosed space
like steel or SS bolt threads or a bearing fit are needed.  A zinc
galvanized mast against aluminum and with small contact area it might
not do much good.  As you mention the red grade is hard to undo, that's
why I use blue 242 for threads I probably need to take apart at some point.

OTOH, if you want permanent, use a structural epoxy. JB Weld is common
and very tough, Loctite, 3M, Devcon make good ones.  The Loctite & 3M
dispenser syringes (unfilled grades) with mixing tubes are really handy
for ease of use and application and correct mix.  I find the 5 minute
cure way too fast for mixing tubes so use the longer working time
formulations.

Grant KZ1W

On 7/23/2012 9:13 AM, Big Don wrote:
> Wonder if any of y'all with this problem have ever tried coating the
> mating mast and clamp interface with Red Loctite?
> Real cheap to try it.  Does a terrific job of preventing movement in
> bolts & nuts, you have to blast to get them loose.
>
> Don  N7EF

snip