[TowerTalk] AIM-4170 driver issues

K8RI K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Tue Jul 24 21:44:53 PDT 2012

On 7/25/2012 12:09 AM, Richard (Rick) Karlquist wrote:

> On 7/24/2012 8:54 PM, Frank wrote:
>
> Yes, this "solution" will work, but only on a desktop
> machine.

The USB to serial converter should work on a laptop.
Depending on what OS and what version.

   Most users want to use the AIM-4170 out at
> the antenna with a laptop.

Just turn on the Wi-Fi with another application for which I forgot the
name and you can actually look at what the desktop is seeing and run
things from the laptop.

I have a difficult time calling them desktops.  Mine are nearly 3' tall,
2 1/2 feet deep, 8 or 10 inches wide and weight 50 to 60#
Course the video cards take up two slots each and consume about 300
watts.  They make more noise than all the other fans combined and they
put out one whale of a bunch of heat.

OTOH the AA 230 Pro would be much handier for that.

73

Roger (K8RI)

   I used to have an old