[TowerTalk] Help with Yaesu G-800DXA

Mark Adams msadams60 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 16:26:58 PDT 2012

Hi Gang,

I've had this rotor up for a few years but this spring problems cropped up.
At first I could not get rotation if the speed was anything less than HIGH.
Then the rotor would only turn a little and simply stop. If I used a preset
and hit START, it would move some, stop and the rotor box would be hot if I
did not reset it quickly. Things I checked:

   1. I thought that my homemade Kellums gave out and the rotor loops were
   tight but they still had enough slack to allow rotation.
   2. I checked the connector at the rotor and it is clean and dry.
   3. The rotor has not moved on the rotor plate. It's in its install
   position.
   4. My mast is 1.94" OD 6061-T6 Al so it is not tight in the thrust
   bearing so I don't thing that is a problem, but I did not have a 2nd person
   to operate the rotor while I was on the ladder. (It's on a TX-455 so I
   checked it cranked down.
   5. Measured in the shack, the motor shows 10 Ohms.
   6. Measured the voltage on pins 4-5 of the control box and I get 11V on
   LOW and 23.5V on HIGH.
   7. I took the cover off and put my meter leads across the motor leads at
   J1009. Rotor was set to N. I then started full speed rotation CW and the
   voltage was a stead -21.9 right up unitl it stalled at 150 degees. I then
   tried CCW, V was 21.8 and got no rotation. Binoculars show that no cables
   are hung.
   8. The inside of the box does have a bit of burned odor, but ever so
   slightly.

Any ideas???

FWIW, I'm turning an F-12 C4E, 2M7 and 64DX. All that was a tad much for
the used HD-73, but this one should be fine IMO.

73,
Mark K2QO
K2/100 #543
FN03ra