[TowerTalk] CAT 5 for SteppIR Remote Driver?

Steve Jones n6sj at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 26 14:12:09 PDT 2012

Thanks for all of the tips on CAT 5 cable.  Actually I did receive an answer
from SteppIR today and it turns out I will need two separate CAT 5 cables
for two antennas.  These CAT 5 cables will be terminated at the base of my
tower, with SteppIR's regular multiconductor flex cable going up the
crank-up to the antennas.  So there is no need for special flexible CAT 5.

It turns out SteppIR uses all four pairs in each CAT 5 cable like two
full-duplex telephone paths to send/receive data to the Remote Driver board
mounted at the base of the tower.  This Remote Driver in turn sends regular
SteppIR control voltages up to the antenna to tune the elements.  I was
hoping they only used two pairs for each Remote Driver, and that way I could
use a single CAT 5's four pairs to handle two antennas.  But according to
Jim at their technical support, that's not the case.

73,

Steve
N6SJ