[TowerTalk] Sharing a COM Port?

K8RI K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Mon Jun 18 10:29:07 PDT 2012

On 6/18/2012 12:29 PM, Marlon K. Schafer (509-982-2181) wrote:
> Hi Alan,

Make sure what ever card you get will work with your operating system
and hardware.  There are a lot of inexpensive ones out there that will
only work with XP 32 bit.

It helps to list the type of computer and hardware when looking for parts.
Com  (serial) ports can be shared, *IF* the programs are written to be
capable of doing so, but the devices also need to know which one you are
talking to. The multi port PCI card is by far the easiest route to go.

Depending on the computer, age, and whether it's economy or top end it
may or may not have expansion slots.

Good luck,

Roger (K8RI)