[TowerTalk] Coax, conduit and toroids

K8RI K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Wed Jun 27 14:46:46 PDT 2012

On 6/27/2012 3:03 PM, Steve Hunt wrote:
> Roger,
>
> I challenge a couple of those comments:
>
> 1) The voltage on the inside of the shield wrt ground is half the
> differential mode load voltage when the antenna is BALANCED, not when it
> is MATCHED as you said.

I should have said and meant to say balanced, you are correct although
it is the system that must be balanced

> 2) Would you like to explain to me the difference between a 1:1 Guanella
> current balun and a common-mode choke?

Typical baluns of this type are transformers be they 1:1 or 4:1 or what
ever.   They are capable of an impedance transformation, but Jim said it
much better than I and his tutorials are used world wide.  I believe you
will find the choke is incapable of doing an impedance transformation
and serving as a choke at the same time.

Roger (K8RI)