[TowerTalk] 15 meter yagi height for 6000 miles

David Gilbert xdavid at cis-broadband.com
Fri Mar 2 15:19:25 PST 2012

No ... HFTA does NOT require even a basic understanding of physics to be
used and to be useful.   I never said anything about any need to have an
"exceptional understanding" of anything to use the application.  You
just made that up.  All it requires it that you read the damn manual ...
the help file and the three or so pages in the ARRL Antenna Book that
describe the application.  Everything I know about the program can be
found there for the reading.

And OF COURSE statistical averages can be misleading ... particularly if
you ignore the help information that tells you clearly that the program
is based upon statistical averages and that you shouldn't expect the
results to be rigorously applicable in specific instances.  That's
pretty much the point I was trying to make in my reply to N4DB.   By
definition there are always exceptions to an average.

I don't think you even understand what HFTA is supposed to do.  You can
read all the antenna books you want and you won't get a very clear idea
of what kind of elevation pattern your antennas have over your
particular terrain.  HFTA has almost no relevance to antenna design per
se and only uses combinations of standard antenna configurations
(dipole, 2-element yagi, 3-element yagi, etc) to determine the effect of
terrain on the pattern.

Dave   AB7E