[TowerTalk] Wind Surface Area estimates

Pete Smith N4ZR n4zr at contesting.com
Fri Mar 9 13:40:40 PST 2012

This is a very complicated subject for us non-engineers.  One
complication I ran into years ago was that Rohn was quoting their
windload figures by one standard, while most antenna manufacturers were
using quite another, which tended to understate the amount of load when
compared to Rohn's capacity figures.  The difference was enough to scare
me off putting a third small tribander on my Rohn 25.

Thee is a good article on the subject at
<http://k7nv.com/notebook/topics/windload.html>.  He, too, recommends
the Leeson book, but if you don't have it handy this will get you started

73, Pete N4ZR
The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com
arcluster.reversebeacon.net, port 7000