[TowerTalk] high tension power line noise...

Barry Merrill, W5GN w5gn at mxg.com
Sat Mar 10 16:53:10 PST 2012

My city lot (75x145) backs up to the 100 foot wide right of way for a pair of 125KV lines, on 125 foot towers,
that runs North-South.  The tower to the Northwest is 225 feet from the corner of my property and hosts an AT&T array of PCS
antennas; with the beam pointed at that pylon, my noise floor is S2 but tolerable, but 30 degrees away from that tower, I hear none
of that cell hash.

I've NEVER heard the 125KV lines, even though on a few occasions with heavy fog I could audibly hear some sounds of arcing.

The tower to my Southwest is 150 feet away, in a direct line to the TV towers at Cedar Hill, 20 miles away, and back when I had a
rotatable TV antenna, I had to steer it about 40 degrees south of the direct bearing to see Channel 8 and 11.

73

Barry, W5GN