[TowerTalk] high tension power line noise...

dotravel at aol.com dotravel at aol.com
Sun Mar 11 16:34:37 PDT 2012

Roger on the power lines,  AND  I'd suggest doing a survey for other "domestic" noise.  In my neighborhood and many others it is the "Tap Lights"  that are the RFI devil incarnate!

They are the little devices that have a 2" touch sensitive pad or even the base of a lamp is touch sensitive and are commonly installed inline  to give 3 levels of brightness to the lamp.  To make matters worse, if they are used to control 12v Halogen lamps they may have a noisy switching "dimmable" wall-wart as part of the system. All of this racket runs thru the house wiring and can be heard from several housed away -- nasty stuff.

I have been fighting this noise for years and even had the TelCo and Electric Utility RFI folks out with no luck.  Below is what I sent out to some pals a few weeks ago.  Now if I can find the source of the intermittent "arc welding" (spark gap) noise I'll be a happy camper!

Regards, John NA6L

Remember how I was complaining about the wide band, badmuffler motor scooter RFI noise that was about 100 KCs wide that kinda'wandered around, it even changed tone and varied its staccato pulse. All thingsconsidered, it was a very weird noise. One other detail is that the noise was up to S-9 and loudest on thelower bands and it cut off within a few KCs like a SSB signal.

It turned out that it was my neighbors 2 sets of 30 yearold 3 way dimming TAP light systems that fed some 12v halogen lights. There ismore to the story, first I bought a new version of the TAP light system -- sameproblem.  The next step was to buy andinstall a replacement dimmer system using corded slide controls and that gotrid of 50% of the noise.  As it turnedout the other 50% of the noise is from one of the 110v (line) to 12v (halogenlights) transformers -- it really makes a hell of a lot of racket when it isenergized.  The little wall wart typetransformer is labeled "dimmable" but I'm going to try replacing itwith one of my 12v wall warts from the great big box-o-converters.