[TowerTalk] 4130 Chrome Molly 1/4" vs 3/16" thickness

john at kk9a.com john at kk9a.com
Sun Mar 11 19:33:16 PDT 2012

It would depend on how the tubing was heat treated.  Without the material
certification you will have no way to know the yield strength of your mast.

John KK9A

To: Towertalk <towertalk at contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 4130 Chrome Molly 1/4" vs 3/16" thickness
From: Richard Thorne <rmthorne at att.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 12:33:41 -0500

Hello Group,

I'm finalizing my tower project.  Last thing to determine is how much of
a load I can put on my mast.

I have a 23' 4130 chrome molly mast which has a thickness of 3/16" vs a
more traditional 1/4" thickness.

Any idea how much yield strength the 3/16 has?  Looks like 1/4" has a
yield strength of 115,000.

I'm using MARC to calculate loads to be sure I don't overload the mast.
Right now I'm looking at a C31xr at 1 foot and a D240 at 10' up the
mast.  I'd like to see if I can safely install a WARC7 at the top at 15'.

Thanks

Rich - N5ZC