[TowerTalk] TowerTalk Digest, Vol 111, Issue 30

K7LXC at aol.com K7LXC at aol.com
Mon Mar 12 17:10:41 PDT 2012

>  I currently have a Rohn HDBX 48' tower. While the tower  has a pretty
good wind load rating, 18 sq ft at 3' above the tower, Rohn  limits the
boom length to 10'.

>  I would like to put up a 2  element 40m beam as well as a 3 or 4 element
10/15/20 meter beam with a  VHF/UHF vertical on top. Wind load wise this
may not exceed the load rating  of the HDBX, but I'm pretty sure it
wouldn't be recommended as boom lengths  are a lot more than 10'.

>  Is there a tower available that has  the same base measurements as a
HDBX
that could handle such a configuration?  With all the concrete in the
ground, I'd like to use it.

Howdy --

    Are you W0RK? There wasn't any callsign in your  email. If so you're
listed as being in Stearns County, MN - an 80 MPH  windspeed zone. You'd be
really pushing your luck with the proposed antenna  array. The BX et al. are
towers for TV antennas. They're light- to medium-duty  depending on the
configuration. The sections are held together by aluminum  rivets so they won't
take much stress - that's why there's the 10' boom length  warning. Consider
yourself warned.

    Sell it and get a real tower. Or keep your  homeowner's insurance paid
up for when the catastrophe happens.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH -
Professional tower services for amateurs
Cell: 206-890-4188