[TowerTalk] Grounding towers

Gregg Seidl k9kl at centurytel.net
Sat Mar 24 06:43:31 PDT 2012

I know this has been beat to death on this reflector but I have a question I don't think I have read on here before.
I have 6 towers here. One is short for a small 2 meter EME array and another one is insulated from ground and will be a vertical for 80/160 once I finish it.
The other 4 are the subject of this question. I recently built a new shack in my basement and redid the grounding of it. I have 4 ground rods pounded into the ground about 7 feet and have my station ground connected to them. I have the ground rods connected in series and then I connected my station ground to the line running between them. At the end of the ground chain sits one of my towers, 85 feet of Rohn 45. This tower is connected to ground via a ground rod. I thought I'd run the ground line further and connect my station ground to that tower as well. Then I got to thinking if it would help to connect the other towers as well. Is it practice to connect them in series? That would require less wire then paralel (sp).
Also can one connect the power feed ground to this same ground? I don't want to have a better ground then the Public Service and have all those issues like we did when I had a dairy farm and had some issues with stray voltage. I am also on sort of a budget and don't want to spend tons of money on copper that isn't really going to do any good. I'm trying to find a happy meduim of protection,safety and improved radio preformance via a better ground with less noise pickup.
Any ideas would be great and reasons why would be fantastic.
Gregg K9KL