[TowerTalk] Fw: WHICH ROTOR TO USE?

David Jordan wa3gin at comcast.net
Sat May 5 14:32:56 PDT 2012

I just replaced a Tailtwister with an M2 2800   This is a beefy rotor, screw
drive... makes the tailtwister looks like a rotor for a cushcraft A3
tribander.   The clever feature of the 2800 is that it uses the same bolt
pattern as the tailtwister, so all you have to do is bore out the bolt hole
pattern in the rotor plate to accept the 2800's larger bolts. The rotor to
mast clamp of the 2800 is also vastly superior to the tailtwister. This is a
proven rotor, has a great control head which will connect to your PC for PC
control of the rotor.  The PstRotor software that is 'free' works great with
the 2800. Also, no brake to jam... the screw drive doesn't require an
addition brake other than the inherent braking provided by the gear
transmittion. So, you hit go it goes, first starts out slow the speeds up
and as it gets close to the target direction it slows down again... so it
won't snap your elements off ;-)  This rotor has been around for a while but
its relatively new in design when compared to the tailtwister.  I installed
the 2800 today to rotate a full size 3ele 40m beam using 48ft boom.  The
antenna can not man-handle the rotor... the tailtwister moter would actually
continue to be moved by the momentum of the yagi so it would drift 10-15
degrees with the brake released.  I wouldn't snap the brake gear by allowing
it to release too soon.

I have several tailtwisters rotors.  They are great for 10-15sqft yagis but
I wouldn't load one up more than that as you'll really be eventually
replaced the rotor.  The ring gear that transfers the motor drive to the
rotor is the weak point of the tail twister...the most common failure is the
ring gear splits causing irrate performance.

Good Luck and be careful when working on your project. Heavy antennas have
no mercy on skin and fingers!

73,
Dave
wa3gin