[TowerTalk] G5RV balun question

John G. af5cc at fidmail.com
Thu May 10 14:39:40 PDT 2012

I have a homebrew G5RV type antenna.  The antenna wire is fed with 300 ohm radio shack twin lead, which runs to a Van Gorden HI-Q 4:1 balun, which then feeds RG-11 75ohm coax.  I have used this system for 14 years now with good results. I am wonder if adding a coax choke balun (several turns of coax wound up in a circle) would help at all. I would like to minimize RF on the shield of the coax (as well as noise it would pick up) and think the HI-Q balun should do this, but would the coax choke help as well, or just be redundant?

John AF5CC