[TowerTalk] 2 el yagi question

Peter FORBES prforbes at bigpond.net.au
Thu May 17 18:17:24 PDT 2012

Tom,

That's a great "deep and meaningful" question.

Assuming the dipole Is currently matched to the feedline then at least two
things are going to happen:

(1)  Because of mutual coupling, the feedpoint impedance is going to lower
on the dipole

(2)  the addition of the director is going to change the vertical pattern of
the dipole, probably lowering it (but as one correspondent said) it will
depend to some extent on the initial height of the dipole.

So with reduced feedpoint impedance, you will need to rematch the feedline
to the dipole   and with changed vertical pattern it might well be that the
signal actually reduces if the vertical pattern changes such that it no
longer corresponds to the angle of arrival of the signal.

Great to see that you are still active Tom - I still remember all those qsos
on 160mx from the 60's and 70's.

Cheers

Peter   VK3QI