[TowerTalk] Cell Tower Program

Wilson Lamb infomet at embarqmail.com
Thu May 24 13:26:28 PDT 2012

I don't usually comment on things I don't see, so I won't this time either.

BUT, I'm sure every producer wants something that will get attention.

Here in NC all tower people must be licensed and I think you'd be hard pressed to get gypsies onto a commercial site.

I could be wrong, of course, but it's my understanding that using unlicensed crew will put big liabilities on the tower owner, as well as fines if the operation is discovered.

I have no idea what would happen if a friend or gypsy fell off a ham tower.  It's scary to contemplate.  Just think of calling the friend's wife!

I have encountered three crews lately.

1.  Change top guys on an AM tower, 200', and mount frame and some cell ants.

      The crew  arrived in a crewcab pickup that must have cost $40K, with a 20' trailer AND an big newish van full of gear.

      I'd bet none of them were $10/hr  workers.

2.  Tower light work at a little over 200'.

      Lone wolf, nice guy, ham, arrived in shiny Hummer.

      Nice to work with, did good job.

      Do you really think he gets $10??

3.  Guy work, erection of new 200' Rohn for AM.

      Family crew, in the field for years, do good work.

      No $10 people there!

SO, maybe NC is a leader in this area?

I have shopped for people to take down towers offered to me.

NONE would do it for less than I could buy the same tower for on the used market.

The lesson there is that standing towers, especially 25G, are worthless unless you and a friend can take them down!

Does anyone on the list  have personal experience with this stuff??

Wilson

W4BOH