[TowerTalk] Coax Matching Stubs W/Smith Chart

Paul Christensen w9ac at arrl.net
Thu Nov 1 07:57:33 EDT 2012

> Can anyone recommend any tutorials for learning how to read a smith chart
> and also using the Sim Smith application ?
> I want to be able to design coax matching stubs and am a total newbie.
> The smith chart is intimidating to me but I thought I would see if I could
> master it.

Here's a QST article of a very good basic introduction to the Smith Chart
that should remove the intimidation very quickly.  ARRL membership may be
required for access:

http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Technology/tis/info/pdf/q1106037.pdf

Another is the excellent three-part QST series by Ward Silver, N0AX.  Part I
starts here:

http://p1k.arrl.org/pubs_archive/109006

Jim, K9YC has drafted a very informative PowerPoint presentation on Sim
Smith:

http://audiosystemsgroup.com/PacificonSmithChart.pdf

Paul, W9AC