[TowerTalk] 43 feet pole for vertical

Kelly Taylor ve4xt at mymts.net
Thu Nov 1 10:52:40 EDT 2012

The mechanical considerations of mounting a 43-foot vertical topside on a
tower are considerable.

But the electrical considerations aren't trivial, either.

As I understand, without proper isolation of the feedline and elevated
radials from the tower, the entire structure could read either like an
end-fed long-wire antenna with most of its energy squirting off into space
or as an OCF windom array with much of the energy split between squirting
off into space and being driven into the ground.

The model I seem to recall, either by K9YC or W8JI, involved the feedline
running to the base of the tower to a choke and then up the tower to another
choke at the feedpoint.

The model, again, IIRC, seemed to suggest that a sufficient quantity of
tuned radials would auto-isolate themselves (in a manner similar to how the
15-meter elements of, say, an F12 C3 only respond to 15-meter energy), but
the choice of a 43-foot vertical suggests multiband operation. In that case,
you'd need multiple radials for each band of operation.

I tried to find what I thought was K9YC's tutorial on vertical antennas, but
it's either not on his website or it wasn't K9YC's.

73, kelly
ve4xt