[TowerTalk] Fwd: Attach a PL-259 to a 1/2" hardline

David Gilbert xdavid at cis-broadband.com
Thu Nov 8 14:12:05 EST 2012

I haven't tried it, but it occurs to me that a generic extension of that
idea might be to use copper braid of an appropriate size.  Just slip it
over the shield of the hardline or Heliax as well as over a PL-259 or
SO-239 barrel, snug everything up, and then solder or clamp it on both
ends.  Use something like NoAlOx under the braid at the clamps and
either tape the connection well or seal it with adhesive lined heat
shrink tubing.  There is lots of the heat shrink tubing on eBay, similar
to this stuff:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-4-in-Adhesive-Lined-Heat-Shrink-Tubing-ft-Black-/380455478702?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=item5894e9e5ae&vxp=mtr

By the way, Ace Hardware online (www.acehardware.com) sells a very wide
variety of brass tubing at reasonable prices ... probably the least
expensive I was able to find anywhere.   The sizes are designed for a
slip fit and by combining various diameters and wall thicknesses it
should be possible to mate the center conductor of almost any cable to
the pin size required for the mating connector, whether you have to
increase or decrease the diameter.

73,
Dave   AB7E