[TowerTalk] shunt feeding tower on 160

TexasRF at aol.com TexasRF at aol.com
Sun Nov 11 20:58:57 EST 2012

Hi Steve, with a vswr as low as 2:1 it would be tempting to match it right
in the 50 ohm feed line with a stub match.

For example. starting with 37R +j0, 40 degrees down the line the impedance
is 49.8R shunted by +165 ohms. The +165 can be canceled with 535 pFd
capacitor  or a piece of 50 ohm coax, open ended and about 17 degrees long.
RG213/u has  about 25 pFd per foot so about 21 ft of that would work.

The distance of 40 degrees will be influenced by the coax velocity factor
of course.

A series matching solution is also possible, using a combination of 50 and
75 ohm lines.

The conversion from 37R +j0 would be done with 123 degrees 50 ohm followed
by 21 degrees 75 ohm coax.

If the coax loss is low, a tuner in the shack would also be a good
solution.

73,
Gerald K5GW

In a message dated 11/11/2012 12:59:56 P.M. Central Standard Time,