[TowerTalk] cheap ground wire

jcjacobsen at q.com jcjacobsen at q.com
Tue Nov 13 09:19:47 EST 2012

How do,

Rick is looking for cheap ground wire:

<snip>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2012
From: Rick Scott

Ive been trying to find information on grounding my station that's mid house with no real ground close. So I must go through the wall and down into the crawlspace.? I was told by an electrical engineer ham that I need 2ga wire minimum.? Well trying to tell the wife I need 10 -15 feet of wire that's 4 bucks a foot at the local big box, didn't go over well.

<snip>

I'm amazed no one has suggested flat, copper, roof flashing. It comes in rolls about 6" wide and different lengths, and is available at the big box stores. Because of the large, flat, surface it is low inductance and almost perfect for an RF ground. Now, then, if you're looking for a SAFETY ground, then you need to follow code for your area........... although I think most areas spec abt a 6 ga. copper. AND remember to tie the station RF GROUND in with the power company SAFETY GROUND. Two different things.

I'm curious as to how you're going to get a ground rod installed straight down in that crawl space <grin> but I guess that's a different thread..... wait, there's one going on now about rocky soil.

73
K9WN Jake