[TowerTalk] PL-259 question

John Becker johnb3030 at comcast.net
Thu Nov 15 19:50:57 EST 2012

Amphenol makes several different solder-type PL-259 plugs.

http://www.amphenolrf.com/products/CatalogPages/UHF.pdf

http://www.amphenolrf.com/search.asp?sid=50A430806CC8617F&N=57+4294966936+4294967230+4294967257

Some have a Teflon insulator, and some are Phenolic. I've seen three
different colors of what I assume are phenolic: Dark yellow (very old),
light yellow, and blue.

I can find nothing in Amphenol's literature to suggest which insulator
is preferable under which circumstance. The Teflon plugs seem to be the
most expensive, but are they actually any better than phenolic? I know
it can be difficult to re-use a Teflon connector because the heat
necessary to unsolder them can cause the center pin to shift.

Can anyone pass along some enlightenment on this subject? Thanks!

73, John, K9MM