[TowerTalk] Lightning protection and control wires

Dick Green WC1M wc1m73 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 13:59:55 EDT 2012

I use these:

http://hr-micro.com/

In addition to having two MOVs and a fuse per line, the board can be
purchased without the enclosure so you can mount on the ground panel inside
a weatherproof box.

One thing to be very careful about: some modern rotator controllers, SteppIR
controllers, etc., have delicate semiconductors directly connected to the
signal wires. You need to select MOVs that have a low enough trigger point
to protect the semiconductors without going below the average voltage put on
the signal wires by the semiconductors. This can be something of a
challenge.

Though I use surge suppressors at both ends (tower and shack), I also
disconnect whenever the station is not in use during lightning season. If a
surge gets past the MOVs, it can find its way into all sorts of equipment in
your shack via the controller.

73, Dick WC1M