[TowerTalk] Guying a TX-472 bottom section

SPWoo jj_2_woo at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 8 00:07:36 EDT 2012

Hi Steve,

I need to guy the tower because I've exceeded the tower's design limit by a factor of 3.7.  If my two yagis were both mounted one foot above the thrust bearing I'll be below the limit.  However having one yagi at one foot above the bearing and another one seven feet above the bearing generate enough bending moment that exceeds the tower's limit in the retracted position (3,700lb-ft vs. 1,000lb ft. at 122mph wind speed).  I didn't do my homework before I put everything in.  Hindsight is always 20/20.  Getting a new tower is out of the question.  So I have two choices, do without my 40m yagi or guy the tower.  I read the UST FAQ document and it does say it's ok to guy the bottom section of the tower.  There are no details on how to do it.  I didn't go with a traditional guyed tower because I don't have enough space for one.  However I do have space to guy the bottom section of my retractable tower.  I get extreme winds here (>100mph once or
 twice a year, >70mph ten days a year).  UST did the calcs. for me at 122mph and they said the tower could handle 15.6 sq. ft. when retracted.  However my Skyhawk yagi is rated at 8.5sq. ft. which is too optimistic.  The true number is more like 12.2 sq. ft. projected.  8.5 sq. ft. is most likely an 'effective' windload for flat members.  The TH-11 is about the same size as my Skyhawk and it's rated at 12.5 sq. ft.  My F12 D240 is rated at 5.8 sq. ft. projected.  I'm unsure if the 5.8 figure is optimistic or not but that's what Mark at F12 told me.  So in a nut shell I don't want to lose my 40m yagi and that's why I'm looking into guying the tower.

Best Regards,
Jonathan Woo
(970) 646-1711