[TowerTalk] Replacing crank up tower cables

K7LXC at aol.com K7LXC at aol.com
Tue Oct 9 14:17:15 EDT 2012

>  I bought a used US Tower TX-472 and because the cables  appear rusted, I
have decided to replace them. I have purchased replacements  from US Tower
so the lengths are correct. the tower is on the ground, so do I  replace the
cables with the tower retracted or do I need to extend it  first?

Howdy --

    First, I'll bet you a nickel that the cables DO NOT  need replacing.
There are valid reasons (e.g. damaged, REALLY rusty or  excessive broken
strands) for replacing the cables but I've never seen a  crank-up with cables bad
enough that they actually needed replacing. "Appear  rusted" is most likely
non-fatal surface rust which can be minimized with  regular application of
a cable lubricant like PreLube.

    UST wants you to replace them every 3 years. This  is known as a WEASEL
CLAUSE because if you didn't do it and something happens,  they can WEASEL
out of any responsibility. Tower manufacturers are insurance  driven
enterprises so they'll do anything to avoid risk. Try asking them for a  cabling
diagram for your proposed cable replacement.

    My advice is to put the cables in a nice dry spot  in the garage and
save them for when you REALLY need them - probably never.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH -
Professional tower services for amateurs
and
UST Factory authorized installer