[TowerTalk] Why galvanized crank up cables instead of stainless?

Georgens, Tom Tom.Georgens at netapp.com
Tue Oct 9 14:27:15 EDT 2012

Rick

I have an HG52SS in Barbados and I have switched to stainless cables with no issue.  The galvanized cables would only last a couple of years before there was enough rust to cause concern.  I will leave it to the experts but it would not surprise me if the galvanize gets compromised by bending over the pulley under tension, or scrapes against the cross  braces in various places.   Once the galvanize material is scratched, the cable is no match for the environment.

I went with the next higher size of cable as it was clear that the pulleys could handle it.  The first set of cables I had made years ago were cheaper than what Hy-gain wanted for spare galvanized cables.  I made a second set in case of emergency more recently and they were more expensive.  Bosun Supplies will make cables to custom lengths and appropriate terminations.

One warning is that I only raise and lower the tower a few times per year.  Most of the time it is down

73, Tom W2SC