[TowerTalk] Yet another worm gear box failure...

Ray Benny rayn6vr at cableone.net
Sat Oct 13 15:35:44 EDT 2012

I've witnessed two such failures, both were on older Tristao towers.

The first happened during the hayday of the N6DX Mallibu hilltop contest
station. We were raising a 72ft Tristao tower using its electric winch
system, got about 2/3 up and crack!, the tower started to collapse into
itself. Of course, we ran away as fast as possible. The fault, the weld on
the 1 inch shaft to the multi-groove pulley broke. All tension on the cable
was released so down it came. The tower was destroyed. At the time the
tower was loaded with a tailtwister rotator, 15ft mast and 4el yagis for 20
& 15m. The antennas were repairable with a lot of work.

Just recently, my old Tristao, CZ471 collasped into itself. The fault, the
flange idler bearing that held the 1" drive shaft dead -end in place pulled
apart releasing tension on the raising cable. Just a few days earlier, I
had replaced the old bearing with an American made Dodge bearing.. This
bearing was made of pot metal while the original bearing was made of a
single piece of steel machined with the roller bearing pressed in. The
tower is beyond repair. It was loaded with with tailtwister rotator, 16ft
mast, a C4SXL large tribander, and a full size 2el 30m yagi. I'm guessing
total weight was about 300 lbs. Again, antennas are repairable but with a
ot work.

My recommendation, if anyone has the old multi-groove drum/Hub city raising
system (pre '80s, not sure of this date), replace it as soon as possible
with a newer version  from either US Towers or Tashjian towers.

Ray,
N6VR