[TowerTalk] Choice of aluminum

K8RI K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Sun Oct 14 16:25:20 EDT 2012

On 10/14/2012 12:40 PM, Richard (Rick) Karlquist wrote:
> If you can possibly obtain 3" aluminum irrigation pipe in your area,
> you will be much happier with it and probably save a lot of money.
> Stiffness is proportional to the cube of the diameter, so you really
> need the 3 inch diameter.  You can't fix this problem by using
> thicker wall small diameter tubing, because the weight increases
> as fast as the wall thickness, so the stiffness to weight ratio,
> and thus sag, is constant at a given diameter.  Irrigation pipe is
> made of a cheaper alloy than 6061, and therefore will take a set
> more easily.  But again, the large diameter trumps alloy selection.
> The exception to this is the completely different philosophy used
> in the Titanex verticals, where they bend like a fishing pole and then
> spring back.

And what does this do to your signal at the DX station's location?
When I put up verticals made of tubing I guy them to keep them from
moving around even when strength is not an issue.

I would think that the signal from a vertical would be particularly
susceptible to the antennas angle moving around.

73

Roger (K8RI)

  The alloy they are made of seems to be unobtainium