[TowerTalk] tower height repost

Brian Alsop alsopb at nc.rr.com
Sun Oct 14 18:16:21 EDT 2012

I don't know if HTTA has any arrival angle data for 6M.  It's
predecessor YTAD did not.

Without arrival angle data how would you know some antenna height change
is good, bad or indifferent.

I seem to recall Es prop (at least for 1 hop) is relatively high angle.
If this is what one is after, then lowering rather than raising the
antenna is a better idea.   Many 6M ops find 20-25' works pretty well.

73 de Brian/K3KO

On 10/14/2012 21:07, Bob K6UJ wrote:
> I think it will depend on your surrounding terrain.  Are you on a hill with a clear shot in all directions ?
> I have hills NW of me and going from 40 to 50 feet makes a big difference.  I ran the HTTA program on the
> CD in the latest ARRL antenna handbook and it was very enlightening to see how different heights affected
> my antenna pattern.  I would recommend running HFTA and see what it tells you for your site.  That is the
> intended purpose of the program and it works very well.
>
> 73,
> Bob
> K6UJ
>

> On Oct 14, 2012, at 11:09 AM, mikflathead at aol.com wrote:
>

>> I am getting ready to put up a Universal Tower 50 foot aluminum tower. I live at
>> a very high elevation. It will have a 7 element KLM 6 meter beam and a 16LBX for
>> 2 meters. Will I see any difference between 40 foot and 50 foot height? It is
>> difficult to lower the tower with the trees I have in the yard. Thanks Mike

-----
No virus found in this message.