[TowerTalk] Water pipe as a mast

K8RI K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Mon Oct 15 03:42:34 EDT 2012

On 10/15/2012 2:06 AM, Spencer wrote:
> A PVC sink drain tube split spiral like and wrapped around the mast
> works good. The top flange holds it in place
> greased and protected from dust and dirt with a rubber pipe repair boot.
> No effects from sunlight here at 6200' elevation

The top of a spray paint can cut out to fit the mast and extend down
over the tube, sealed in place in the mast with Silastic RTV (TM) works
very well.

> after 3 years. The tower was a Rohn 25 and Cubex 5 band 2 el quad . The
> rotor was a hy gain mounted on a plate inside the
> tower. Alignment wasn't a problem and never any rust or binding

One problem using shims be they plastic or aluminum is that more than a
few times I've seen tower tops that were not aligned close enough to
permit the sleeve bearing without binding.

73

Roger (K8RI)