[TowerTalk] Tower removal. Gin Pole or something else?

Dan Cisson n4gnr at windstream.net
Mon Oct 15 18:47:26 EDT 2012

Mike,, I have been doing tower work for almost 30 yrs. First of all, those
Rohn gin poles
are a joke to me...They take too long just to move the pole from one section
to another.(clamps)
I made my own pole from 2 1/2 inch square aluminum thick wall. I have hooks
that are
bolted to the base of the pole. My pole will fit Rohn 25, 45, and 55 without
any adjustments.
The hooks utilize the angles of the tower.,,so that when in position to lift
up a section,,the
pole can not move laterally at all cause the hooks are riding down the
angles. It is critical
that the hooks bottom out at the same time to eliminate slop. ...So,, with
this situation, I
 can send a section to the ground, lift up the pole and set it on the top of
the second section
down, and the rope will be thru the pulley atop the pole and tied off 1 foot
down from
the top of the section I am removing.  My gin poles are 14 ft long. So to
get you the proper picture,,
when I send down a section,, if you looked up,, there would be 10 ft of gin
pole above
the tower,,and 4 ft attached to the top of the tower---then I have to move
it down and do it
all over again.  I can move my gin pole one handed.--there are no clamps. I
could send you some
pics if you like... Dan  N4GNR