[TowerTalk] If you had a choice

john at kk9a.com john at kk9a.com
Tue Oct 16 10:14:21 EDT 2012

Was this test run with no choke at the feed point of the Mosley and the
other antennas in your test had one?

To:	 "Towertalk Reflector" <towertalk at contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] If you had a choice
From:	 "Ward Silver" <hwardsil at gmail.com>
Date:	 Tue, 16 Oct 2012 08:09:51 -0500

A cautious word of defense on Mosley...the PRO series was definitely not
the top performing tribander in the tests (www.championradio.com) but they
are built like tanks (that also means they are very heavy antennas) and do
stand up to the elements, particularly ice loading.  The Mosleys would
probably also benefit from decoupling the feedline shield with common-mode
chokes (ferrite or
coiled-coax) although the manual I saw during the test said not to use a
balun for some reason - that may have changed.

I agree with whoever said to avoid quads in Alaska - unless you like
rebuilding antennas :-)

Check with other KL7s in your area as to what they have put up that makes
it through the storms and gives adequate performance on the air.  In
extreme weather environments, there are more requirements than just gain
to worry about.

73, Ward N0AX