[TowerTalk] TowerTalk If you had a choice

K8RI K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Wed Oct 17 22:00:32 EDT 2012

On 10/17/2012 12:57 PM, Jim Brown wrote:
> On 10/16/2012 11:53 AM, Bill Winkis wrote:
>> What did the wise old "Elmer" say ...Son, put 1/3 of your money into a
>> tower, a third into the antennas, and a thirds into the radio and
>> peripheral's

Don't forget another third into studying<:-)) Unfortunately at my age
I'm running out of time for much studying.

I'm a firm believer in what you say, but I'd add make it a big tower,
big antenna system, and big rig. Just make sure you know how to use it
all...PROPERLY<:-))

> I'd allocate at least $300 for a decent library of technical books on
> radio and electronics, at least $200 of which is about antennas and

With a year in engineering and a 4 year degree in CS with minors in Math
and Art I think I have sufficiently invested in the library.

> transmission lines, and then spend lots of TIME studying them. Part of
> that "library" ought to include antenna modeling software like EZNEC.
> Most hams have limited cash, but throw lots of dollars at the wrong
> things because they don't understand the science.  As the old saying
> goes, "if you think education is expensive, consider the cost of
> ignorance." :)

All I have to do is look at Washington to be reminded!

73

Roger (K8RI)