[TowerTalk] Antenna Testing

K8RI K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Wed Oct 17 22:08:23 EDT 2012

On 10/17/2012 4:11 PM, Jim Lux wrote:
> On 10/17/12 7:51 AM, Big Don wrote:
>> Sorry, that was 30 or so Alzheimerized years ago.  The question
>> *today* is
>> how do you get some good comparison antenna data without buying into an
>> antenna range, and procuring-setting up all the antennas to test.  The
>> trailered reference antenna method could do a worthwhile job if, as you
>> imply, comparable QTH and tower height were considered in selecting
>> already-installed antennas to compare.
>

> The reference antenna doesn't need to be a particularly high performance
> one: just one with very "knowable" performance.

All it has to do is put our a known signal that is at least strong
enough to allow you make reliable measurements at both nodes and nulls.

I used to do certification measurements every Monday morning to make
sure we weren't radiating on frequencies where we shouldn't be.  That
was with an old Singermetrics boat anchor and small loop antenna.  When
I say "boat anchor" that thing was heavy enough to hold a pretty good
sized boat! <:-))

The degree didn't do a lot for the hours I had to work, but at least I
didn't have to lift near as much weight and then I could get some one
else to do the heavy lifting.

73

Roger (K8RI)

   You could use a