[TowerTalk] Phillystran

K8RI K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Sun Sep 2 22:31:36 EDT 2012

On 9/2/2012 7:10 PM, Patrick Barkey wrote:
> Brian,
>
> Wow, some strange advice here.  At least no one said you needed an engineer
> or lawyer.  Yet.

Didn't need them here when I installed mine.  They redid the zoning and
I gave the board a lot of documentation.  They exempted ham towers after
that.  You still need a building permit.  The only real limitation here
is setback rules for safety and you can go higher than that "with
permission from your neighbor(s)

If your area is ever rezoned be sure to get involved, or get some
knowledgeable hams involved.

> I just put up a 130 foot Rohn 25 tower base insulated for 160.  I used 4000
> lb test Philly because I had to climb it.  I hated paying for it but I was
> glad I did when I was up there.

I'm far more comfortable standing on the top plate of the 45G at 100
feet than at 40 or 50 feet on a 25G. Although I can't feel it move I
feel like I'm standing on a toothpick.  <:-)

73

Roger (K8RI)