[TowerTalk] Another Grounding Question

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Fri Sep 7 00:08:44 EDT 2012

On 9/6/2012 8:44 PM, Gary "Joe" Mayfield wrote:
> There is no obvious ground rod to be seen.

Don't ignore the possibility that there is none, or that it's buried
somewhere.  Many  electricians are better carpenters than technicians,
and their technical training is often weak.

NEC (and good engineering practice) require that there be a ground
connection AT THE SERVICE ENTRANCE (that is, at the first electrical
enclosure in your home after the meter.  Grounds may be ADDED, but that
one is required.

What usually comes from the power company through the meter to our homes
is three wires 120-0-120. That is, both sides of center-tapped 240V
transformer, plus the center tap, which is the Neutral.  While the
neutral is grounded by the power company at various points in their
distribution system, that ground is for lightning protection, and is not
intended to carry current.  Only two sides of 120V and the neutral
should carry current.

I've seen some real messes, including the house I bought here in
California. The biggest goof -- there was no "ground rod," instead the
panel was "grounded" to a hose outlet about 40 ft away from the panel,
and that hose outlet was connected to PVC pipe.  In other words, there
was no earth connection.

73, Jim K9YC