[TowerTalk] guying a Rohn 25 tower

Mark Robinson markrob at mindspring.com
Sun Sep 9 20:42:27 EDT 2012

>    I've seen roofs that have been pulled loose by  attached guy wires. You
> can do it but I'd be very careful about the engineering.  A fellow
> TowerTalkian, Tony, K1KP, wrote a QST article some years ago about this
> topic. Get
> ahold of a copy of it and you'll be much wiser.
>
>    Please note that 25G uses 3/16" EHS with a ultimate  breaking strength
> of 4000#. Could your homebrew roof guy anchor take that kind  of stress? I
> didn't think so.
>
>    Obviously your proposed installation will be on the  small side so you
> won't have much risk but I'd still be careful.
>
> Cheers,
> Steve    K7LXC
> TOWER TECH

I roof guyed a 60 foot Rohn 25 tower once and it makes me shiver looking
back at it. I would never do that again.

As Steve says, the guy anchors need to be able to take 4000 pounds of
pull...a roof just isn't going to do it.

Don't do it..install proper guy anchors per the Rohn guidelines. You can go
out further but all guys should make the same angle with the tower.

Mark N1UK