[TowerTalk] Nec PDF

Alan NV8A nv8a at charter.net
Thu Sep 13 12:06:58 EDT 2012

On 09/13/12 01:00 am, Jim Lux wrote:

>> You have to buy it. They are about $100.00 You may be able to find an
>> older used one on Amazon.com

> There are a variety of ones as pdf on the web, as the NEC in various
> versions has been adopted as the local code. California Title 24 is an
> older version of the NEC..
> http://public.resource.org
>

> Unless you just want to look up a section or two, where the pdfs work
> fine, if you want to *use* the code, I'd recommend getting the version
> with all the commentary and explanations. $150 ish for the latest one.
>
> You can probably find one that is 1 or 2 revs out of date (every 3
> years)..not a huge amount changes.
>
> Recently, there's been lots of changes in things like solar panels.
> Grounding/bonding is pretty much the same for the last 10-15 years.
> Three phase neutrals had a big change about 20 years ago.
>

> Obviously, if you're in the business as an electrician or Engineer, you
> need the latest one.

You also need to be able to interpret it "correctly" (i.e., the same as
your local code enforcement people interpret it). There is a forum on
the Web ("Mike Holt" is the name I recall) where professionals debate
how this section relates to or contradicts that section and which of two
similar but different rules applies in some particular situation. Mere
mortals can subscribe to that forum and read the discussions but are not
allowed to participate: I tried asking a question once and was told:
"Call an electrician."

Alan NV8A