[TowerTalk] Value of using coax relays to ground antennas?

Mat Eshpeter kk1c at live.com
Sun Sep 16 08:20:42 EDT 2012

I plan to ground the coax shields at the top and bottom of the tower; I will also ground the center conductors of the coax runs at the tower base via ICE or similar products. I was thinking about going a step further and using coax relays (after the ICE/MOV products) to have the antennas grounded when the relays are not energized. The antennas would only be connected back to the shack when I hit the 12V switch back in the shack.
In order to save on wire cost, I was thinking about putting the relays at the cable entrance panel on the outside of my house -- this would cut down on the relay wire from 220' to about 20' and eliminate the concern of voltage sag as well; but I am not sure how effective it would be versus mounting the relays at the base of the tower. The house entrance panel will have ICE/MOV surge suppressors as well.

My question -- given the shield grounding and center conductor grounding as described above, does this relay-based approach add any meaningful lightning safety to my installation (at either the tower base or house entrance panel)? The coax relays I am thinking of using are pretty small (Tohtsu CX-600M) so if the surge suppressors don't work as I expect them to, my feeling is that these relays will get destroyed by the first strike.
Has anyone done this or something similar? I would appreciate hearing about your experience.
thanksMatKK1C